Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom-Soren Kierkegaard

Friday, July 16, 2010

Existentialism

I have been reading quite a lot lately, mainly because I have nothing else to do, and television is melting my brain. I'm reading about existentialism more and thought I should start by reading Kierkegaard and Sartre since they are the predecessors of this philosophical movement. I finished reading some of Sartre's journals as well as his letters to and from Beauvoir and found them good but lacking in something, mainly some sort of positivity. Now getting into Kierkegaard I find what I was looking for. This quote for example: "A man who as a physical being is always turned toward the outside, thinking that his happiness lies outside him, finally turns inward and discovers that the source is within him." has some of what I was missing in Sartre. I do this at times, I look to others to help me feel better, or think that some activity or some purchase or some degree or some travel or some something other than myself will help me find what I'm missing inside. The truth is that I have to look inward and be happy with myself, by myself, right now and then that happiness can possibly be shown outward. Happiness is found in the soul, it is very personal, and it necessitates meditation and dedication to accept that what you know about yourself and the world is miniscule compared to what is truly out there to learn. There is also a second part to this, I have to accept the fact that I choose how to feel. I decide how I respond to situations and how they affect me and my attitude toward everything else.

This was on my mind and I thought what a better place than my new blog to share it with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment